Skip to main content

Lucifer (Book Two) by Mike Carey


"Picking off right where Book One left off, it is a continuation of the shock-waves that Lucifer's actions in Book One created. Intricate, detailed and at points, confusing, you have to keep all the characters straight in order for it to make sense. But if you do that, then it's an enjoyable read."
3 Stars
Pros: Better the second time around/There aren't many new characters to remember/Everything comes full circle but also leaves off at a good cliffhanger.
Cons: As with all Comic book series you have to have read the first volume to understand any part of the second/ The art in some issues was meh. 

Full Review: 
With the death and re-birth of the archangel Michael, Lucifer created his own Universe. And now everyone wants a piece of it. Lucifer (Book Two) is all about the many pieces of the puzzle that have been crafted with Lucifer creating his own "world." It is extremely intricate, every part leading into the other and you cannot read this Book Two and have it make any sort of sense, without having read Book One.

The main driving stories were Paradiso (Parts 1-3) and Purgatorio (Parts 1-3) though I have a feeling characters from Dalliance with the Damned and Breaking and Entering (mainly Gaudium and Michael) will be making appearances in Book Three.

Some of the other stories were simply there to show how uncompromising Lucifer can be, like Thunder Sermon. And also how his creation of a Universe spawns different worlds and life, like in Writing on the Wall. While some stories, mainly Nirvana, really didn't seem to serve much of a purpose at all, as far as I could see.

It was a good read, a complicated one and it left off at an interesting point; leaving the reader curious as to what will happen. There's Jill Presto, Mazikeen, the impending duel with Amenadiel, Michael's fate and a whole Hell of a lot more. I found myself excited to sit down and read and see what happened. The book was definitely better the second time around.

If you can keep all the characters straight, then, for the most part, it's a compelling and entertaining read. I'd recommend it to anyone who's read Lucifer (Book One). Also to anyone who, like me, has always been fascinated by the literary character of Lucifer and peoples different perspectives and also fans of Gaiman's The Sandman series, as a few characters make special guest appearances. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...