Skip to main content

Legendary (Caraval #2) by Stephanie Garber

"Starting right where Caraval left off, we are thrust back into the magical world of Master Legend as he brings his performers to the Elantine Empire's capital city of Elantine and holds another Caraval in honor of the Empress' 75th birthday. This time it's Donatella who plays the game and things seem much more serious/on the line than they did the first time around."

4 Stars

Pros: It had its good amount of twists and turns to keep the story going/Though the character of Jacks is evil, he was entertaining, as most villains are. 

Cons: Donatella, the girl who will never love, finds love, it was all rather saccharine, but this is YA fantasy so I'm taking it as it is. 

Full Review: 

Starting off right where Caraval left off, we're thrust back into the world of Caraval and the mysterious Master Legend. Donatella (Tella) and Scarlet (Scar) travel with the performers to the capital city of the Elantine Empire, Valenda. Legend has agreed to hold another Caraval in honor of the Empress' 75th Birthday. 

This time it's Donatella who takes part in the game. And this time, the game is far more dangerous than the first time around. There are stories about the Dragna sisters disappeared mother and its all connected to a deck of destiny (kind of like tarot cards) and their power versus Legends power. Though overall it was all pretty predictable, it was still entertaining and quick. I read it in two days. 

If you've read Caraval and enjoyed it, then definitely pick this one up. Tella's more fun than Scarlett, though her impulsiveness and inability to hold her tongue is obviously often cause for trouble. Like I said, predictable but enjoyable. Good for a quick, fun read. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...