Skip to main content

God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles #4) by Frank Herbert

"600 pages of talk, of why Leto II is the greatest and best. And even if you're supposed to feel something, sympathy, pity, etc, Herbert ruins it all by making all of the characters flat, emotionless and mindlessly devout. This book was such a disappointment I can't even properly express it."

1 Star

Pros: The book started off good, full of danger and excitement/I had hopes for Siona and her rebellion but as always, Leto's prescience and omniscience took all the suspense and surprise out of everything. 

Cons: Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, all Leto ever does is talk. And what little action there actually is is few and far between. 

Full Review: 

Leto II has become more than a man. He is now a living God. The God Emperor of Dune, to be precise. And though there is "peace" on every planet in the Galaxy, it is a forced peace. He is told by his numerous ambassadors that people are unhappy, that they feel as if they're pigs, wallowing in their own filth. But for the most part, there is peace, a forced tranquility. 

Leto II is omnipotent, all knowing and almost all powerful. Though he does have weakness in certain parts of his body. After developing the second skin of sand trout in Children of Dune, his body has undergone an intense metamorphoses. He is slowly but surely becoming a sandworm. He no longer has legs or feet, just useless flippers. His arms and hands are still there, as is his face, but the rest of his organs/brain/heart etc, have spread throughout his body. He is really no longer a man. He is something completely different and he honestly and fervently believes that all those should worship him. 

As they say, pride cometh before a fall. The same thing that happened to his father, Paul Muad'Dib happened to Leto and to be honest, I was glad for it. Never, in recent memory, have I read a book where I wanted, so badly, for the protagonist to fail. He was arrogant, self absorbed, self important and grotesquely in love with himself. I felt the same as the 746,350th iteration of Duncan Idaho, that this "thing" was not a God and should not be worshipped. It was a "creature" and should be despised. 

I've been holding out hope that this series will at some point hit a turning point. That it will at some point become like the first book and have some semblance of a story line, of a plot, of characters that the reader actually cares about. But I'm beginning to become convinced that no, this will never happen. 

This book was a let down in the most extreme way. I kept reading just to see if something would actually HAPPEN and suffice it to say, even when something did happen, it was drawn out and by the end of it, just felt unnecessary. 

I have the next two books in the series but with how abysmal this one was, I'm seriously reconsidering reading them. The first book was so good and each subsequent book has been more and more disappointing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...