Skip to main content

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

"When Amy, Nick's wife of five years, disappears on the morning of their fifth wedding anniversary, Nick is horrified, shocked, confused and worst of all, the prime suspect. Flynn does an incredible job of piecing the bits of the story together, just enough and at a good enough pace that you keep reading and the characters, Amy especially are truly unforgettable."

5 Stars. 

Spoiler Alert. 

Pros: Amy is a truly sociopathic, megalomaniacal, narcissitic b**itch and though I loathed her, I was mesmerized by the sheer depths she would sink to. 

Cons: At the last part of the book, when Amy is explaining how she "escaped", the abuse she put her body through would have been obvious to her captor, but apparently not. 

Full Review:  Nick knows that he hasn't been the best husband, he's known that for awhile now. But he knows that the fault isn't entirely his own. His wife Amy is now saint. So on the morning of their fifth year anniversary, Nick decides it's time to confront his wife and ask for a divorce. She's changed, over the years she's become impossible to please, demanding, condescending and Nick can't take it anymore. 

When he pulls into work that morning, he soon gets a phone call from his neighbor, saying that the front door to Nick's place is wide open. Nick returns home and finds it to be true, and the living room is in ruins. There's an obvious sign of a struggle and Nick is frantic, having no idea what could have happened to his wife. 

An investigation begins and since Nick is the husband, he's the prime suspect. The book dives deep into the relationship between Nick and Amy, their faults and flaws, the good times, the bad times and all the in between. It explores the relationship Nick has with his ailing father, his twin sister etc. And it also explores Amy Elliot Dunne, the beautiful and intelligent "Gone Girl." 

When it comes to stringing you along and making you finish just one more chapter in hopes of clues, answers, anything, Flynn is a master. I don't often read mysteries or thrillers, often finding the protagonists to be completely oblivious and ridiculous, as they try to piece together the crime. But Flynn has created an intricately detailed story, with complex characters and a plot that leaves you shocked until the very end. This was a great, suspenseful, entertaining read. Now I'll have to watch the movie and see how it compares. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...