Skip to main content

Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse #8) by James S.A. Corey

"The Penultimate in this insane, whirlwind of a series, Corey, as usual, makes the turning of the page effortless. All the same characters with a few new faces and some serious insanity from the Protomolecule had me hooked."

4 Stars

Pros: Teresa Duarte is an entitled little brat, but I like her all the same/Timothy 💖 

Cons: The siege of Laconia was very technical and completely lost on me.  

Full Review

Since this is the eighth book in a nine-book series, if you haven't already done so, I suggest you stop reading this fascinating blog and go read the first seven books 🤣. 

If you've already done so, then please, proceed. 

It's unclear how much time has passed since the ending of Persepolis Rising, but it feels like it's been a while. The crew of the Rocinante are all off doing their part to serve the Underground, the rebellion against Laconian rule. Naomi spends her time acting as an agent, sending out communications to other spies, following her orders from Saba. Bobbie is the Captain and Alex, her Pilot of the stolen Laconian Warship, Gathering Storm. They're the heavy hitters of the Underground, striking the enemy with their own technology. Amos took a mission into the heart of Laconia and hasn't been heard from since. 

And Jim. 

Jim is still a prisoner on Laconia.

For the most part, he's treated well and left to his own devices. And Jim being Jim, he's playing the long con. He's befriending people, establishing himself into the routine and order of Laconian lifestyle. 

And Elvi Okoye, who is now an Admiral in the Laconian fleet is off studying the other ring spaces for anomalies. 

Some serious insanity goes down, per usual when the Protomolecule is involved. The ripple effect brings everyone, hero and villain together in a fireball of an ending. The series is coming to a close and so, you know some characters are going to die but, it's never easy when they do. 

As usual with this series there were some parts that were so bogged down with information about spin gravity and orbital something or other that I considered skimming but, in the end, it managed to strike a balance. 

I'm definitely interested as to how Corey will end it for good. And with a title like Leviathan Falls for the finale, well, I have a hope that it'll all wrap itself up with a nice, pretty bow 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...