Skip to main content

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works." 

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective. 

Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation.

Full Review: 

This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bradbury about his writing process, focusing on specific works like Fahrenheit 451, Dandelion Wine and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Also his thoughts about art, sci-fi/fantasy and all things fun and fantastical. 

Drunk and in charge of a Bicycle was by far the stand out. Bradbury's recollection of his trip to a side-show attraction as a boy, where he was shocked by Mr. Electrico and told to "live forever." The next day, mesmerized, Bradbury returned to the fair and was lucky enough to catch Mr. Electrico on break. They walked and talked together and Mr. Electrico explained that Bradbury felt familiar, like the soul of a long departed friend. He wondered at the fact that life was a strange thing and to live forever would truly be a gift. So through all of life's ups and downs, Bradbury always kept Mr. Electrico's wish, to "live forever" in the back of his mind. When he would sit down and write, he always made sure to let the memory of that young boy run free with ideas and adventures, blessed to live forever. He just wrote down the results.

Since I'm biased and think every word of Bradbury's is literary gold, most of these essays were perfection. Practical yet told with Bradbury's poetic prose. Investing in Dimes, his recollection of writing the first draft of Fahrenhei 451 was another great read. And, of course,  Zen in the Art of Writing  was full of sound wisdom that just, works. His suggestion to simply "Work, Relax, Don't Think", works in my daytime job and in writing. 

This is obviously a must for any fan of Brabudy but honestly, I think anyone could benefit from some of the advice in this book. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...