Skip to main content

Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse #6) by James S.A. Corey

"After the events of Nemesis Games, the entire galaxy is left reeling and it's up to Holden and the crew of the Rocinante to pick up the pieces. Old and new allies are made and everyone understands that the only way they can stop another war and more bloodshed is to work together. Of course, that's always easier said than done." 

4 Stars

Pros: More or less the same cast of characters, so not too many new people to keep track of and the re-introduction of some old favorites/Again, Alex and Amos, two of my favorites and I will be very displeased if something happens to either of them in the series. 

Cons: Filip is a whiney, angsty teenager but, at least he's showing a bit of a moral compass/The slow zone and the Ring are still SO confusing but I just kind of read those parts and hoped I understood it. 

Full Review: 

Marco Inaros' "Free Navy" the new OPA is alive, thriving and slowly but systematically winning skirmish after skirmish in their fight against the Inners. Earth, Mars and the Belters who are not loyal to Inaros must work together to face the threat of this frankly, insane and frighteningly driven man. There are even those in his inner circle who are starting to doubt whether his dream can become a reality or if he's simply reveling in his own power and glory. 

Things, of course, come to a head. There are too many battles to count and the body count just keeps rising. And it'll take the combined efforts of everyone, Earth, Mars and Belters to try and bring back order to the chaos that Inaros has created. 

This was a fast paced, action packed addition to the series and it left off at a good stopping point but also at a good starting point, since there are still three more books to read. The ability of our heroes to survive against all odds has worked so far but I'm wondering how Corey will manage going forward. I'll be especially perturbed if anything happens to Alex or Amos but...I guess we'll see. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...