Skip to main content

Abandoned Vermont: Down Forgotten Backroads (America Through Time) by Marie Desrosier

"A trip down roads that time forgot. Desrosier is a thoughtful and insightful guide as she takes us through these abandoned places hidden in the beauty of Vermont. Her photographs are stunning and her memories and thoughts let the reader connect in an easy and familiar way. A quick but fun and intriguing read." 

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Pros: Stunning photography showing the beauty of Vermont amidst its many crumbling and abandoned farms/houses/Desrosier shares moments of her own past, allowing the reader the chance to connect/The last photograph and Desorsier's message was beautiful.  

Cons: I found it sad, how many places were left to ruin but at the same time Desrosier lets you see the beauty in the sadness, in the stories that are left behind on these forgotten backroads. 

Full Review: 

Desorsier explains how she's always had a love for abandonment. She's always found beauty in the places time forgot. Growing up in a home with abandoned cabins on the property, she often found herself wondering about those places and the stories they held. Who lived there? What were their lives like? What had happened that made them leave so suddenly? 

This book is her way of letting us join her on her adventures, her research, her attempt to learn more about these many places that time forgot.  

Desrosiers manages to wind a path with her photographs of an incredible variety of different structures in multiple states of decay. Amidst the dust and mold, Desrosier brings out the beauty and a sense of stillness and peace in these empty places.  

This was a fun and interesting change of pace from my usual reads. I'm eager to see what Abandoned New Hampshire: Ghosts of our Past (Abandoned Union) and Abandoned Vermont and New Hampshire: Forgotten in the Mountains (America Through Time) have to offer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...