Skip to main content

Fables & Reflections (The Sandman #6) by Neil Gaiman

"A middle of the road read for a volume that's essentially right in the middle of the series. Consisting of

9 stories, some that deal with Dream and the Endless, while others just have Dream make a cameo, this had some really beautiful reads while some of it was just filler."

3 Stars

Pros:  Shows a more complicated side of Dream/Some stories, like Soft Places and Three Septembers & a January were just very well written and great reads. 

Cons: The handwriting in some of the journal entries of Johanna Constantine was almost impossible to read (though this could be that my eyes are just getting worse.) 

Full Review: 

Consisting of 9 Stories, where some deal directly with Dream and his siblings, the Endless, while others are separate stories that just have Dream show up at some point. 

Fear of Falling, The Hunt, Soft Places and Ramadan were such standalones. Fear of Falling and Soft Places were enjoyable reads. The Hunt/August and Ramadan were just kind of okay. I didn't hate them but I more or less just wanted to get through them. 

Three Septembers & a January Thermidor, Orpheus and the Parliament of Rooks deal directly with Dream and his struggles with his siblings. As the series progresses, that's what keeps my interest and keeps me reading. 

This was a very, middle of the road read. It had a few stories that were beautifully written and entertaining, while others were just quick reads to get through the volume. I think I'll take a break from my re-read of The Sandman series for a little bit and come back to it, perhaps after they make a 2nd Season of the TV Show, which was entertaining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...