Skip to main content

Journey To The Centre Of The Earth by Jules Verne

"Though pretty much impossible, Verne still makes it fun to travel with Henry, Professor Hardwigg and the unflappable Hans to the center of the Earth. It's a fun read but can at times be bogged down with geological jargon. I'm glad I read it but I'm also glad to be done."

3 Stars

Pros: Definitely an interesting idea and one that Verne made pretty believable/The implacable character of Hans was a quiet and reassuring presence through all the insanity.  

Cons: The countless references to strata, minerals, other types of geological and scientific facts were rather tiresome/I thought it went on for longer than it had to. 

Full Review: 

Henry is living  and studying under his Uncle, the Professor Hardwigg. His uncle makes a discovery, Nordic runes written by A. Saknussemm that when translated, tell of a road that leads to the center of the Earth.  There is a dormant volcano in Iceland, Mount Sneffels that if they descend into the crater, they'll be on the same route as Saknussemm.  Henry and his Uncle depart for Iceland at once. to scale Sneffels and see if Saknussemm's words are true. 

Henry is an emotional, passionate, anxious contrast to his Uncle's unflappable confidence that all will be well. The professor doesn't seem to be in the least bit concerned about rations, equipment, all he wants to do is see what Saknussemm saw. And they do see some incredible things. Things that make no sense scientifically but that's alright, it doesn't have to. Verne is great at drawing the reader in and letting them see the world around them through Henry's eyes. 

Since this is a classic of Science Fiction, I've always meant to read it and I'm glad I did. Though it wasn't the most amazingly inspiring thing I've ever read, it did have its fun parts and it definitely makes you wonder. What would it be like if Saknussemm was right? What if there was a way to journey to the center of the earth and what would we find there? 

A good read but at the end of it all, I'm glad to be finished. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...