Skip to main content

Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse , #2)

"With at least, three mysteries going on simultaneously, Sookie Stackhouse's whirlwind life of Vampires, Shapeshifters, telepathy and other supernatural creatures just felt contrived, forced and cringeworthy."

Pros: I'm mainly reading the series to see how Harris handles Vampires being legal citizens. So far, the waters are very murky, and I don't know if I can force myself to read more, for the sake of research. 

Cons: For someone who can read minds, Sookie can be a real idiot. Also, her volatile mood swings and petulance are just obnoxious. And the fact that EVERYONE is in love with her, like, everyone and their mother. 

Full Review:

Sookie's happy. She's still dating Vampire Bill, still waiting tables at Merlotte's, still able to read minds but she's alright with all that. Until, that is, Andy Bellefleur, the Sheriff, has a bad night, leaves his car in Merlotte's parking lot overnight and then the dead body of Lafayette is found in it the next morning. 

Well, then, Sookie's on the case! Armed with only her fierce determination and Southern Gal moxie, she's determined to figure out who killed Lafayette and why. But, there's that small problem of being hired out to Vampires in Dallas for her unique gift. so they can figure out what happened to one of their own. 

There were like seven mysteries going on in this book and all of them felt slap shod and thrown together. None of it felt cohesive and to be honest, the whole "figuring out who killed Lafayette" thing while throwing in some other supernatural creatures, was just over the top. 

I've been reading this series to try and research how Harris deals with Vampires in her mythos. And though she's given a few interesting easter eggs, it might be awhile before I pick the next one up, if I do at all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...