Skip to main content

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

​“Robert Neville is the only man left alive after a plague has ravage the population. Though the plague didn’t kill them, it turned them into Vampires and now Robert spends his time killing those affected, reinforcing his house against attacks, and trying to learn as much about the plague as he can. Considered to be one of the end all, be all of Vampire books, I found myself entertained but also wanting to know more about Robert's life before the plague.” 

⭐️⭐️⭐️

Pros: Since the story is told in slightly reverse order, we learn more about the events leading up to Robert’s situation just when it feels like there won’t be any explanation/It was moderately good pacing. 

Cons: It was never quite explained how the plague began, it was after a vaguely mentioned war and dust storms but that was about it/I wanted to know more about Roberts life before the plague but only got the vaguest details/I never quite understood the difference between the Vampires, living and dead and Matheson didn’t  really explain. 

Full Review

Robert Neville is the only person alive after a plague has swept through California and decimated the population. But the plague didn't kill them, precisely. It turned them into Vampires and every night he listens to the Vampires screaming, trying to break into his house and kill him. 

He goes about his day going house to house and staking vampires and then throwing the bodies into a giant fire. After months of isolation, alcoholism and depression he eventually decides to read up on everything he can to try and figure out what could have caused the plague and how to fix it. 

Things begin to change when one day he finds a dog, alive, wandering the streets alone during the day. He’s desperate to not be alone anymore and we begin to see a softer, more humane side of Robert. And when he finds a woman wandering, everything changes.

Though this was a quick read (only a little more than 100 pages), it was a deep one. It was a study of what absolute isolation will do to someone and how he adapts when he’s surrounded by monsters day in and day out. The lack of details of Robert’s life pre- plague were frustratingly vague but the aftermath and the effects of complete isolation were interesting and intense. Though this is considered basically the end all, be all book of Vampire books, aside from Stokers Dracula, it was more a study of what isolation does to the human mind. I enjoyed it but was left wanting a bit more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...