Skip to main content

Nothing Tastes as Good by Luke Dumas

"When Emmett Truesdale is chosen to be a participant in a clinical trial for a new weight loss procedure, he's all in. He starts to shed the weight like magic but, of course, there are side effects, unpleasant, disturbing, frightening side effects. Though the book had many good points about body shaming/the obsession we have over fitting in and being skinny, in the end, the characters and the plot were just overdone and ridiculous." 

⭐⭐

Pros: This was a harsh reality of body shaming and shows the kind of culture that sadly, many people struggle with. If you're not skinny, then you're not worth other peoples time, attention etc. It's a sad fact but it's one that's still very much prevalent.  

Cons: I feel like some of the characters were unnecessarily crass/uncouth, especially Lizette/Emmet himself would always crumble into tears, run away or lash out violently when met with a hard conversation. 

Full Review: 

Emmett Truesdale is a 300+ heavy man who works at Target at night and is trying to get a job during the day as a teacher. He’s constantly judged for his weight, looked down upon and struggles in almost every aspect of his life. After seeing an add on Instagram for a miraculous new weight loss procedure, he attends the seminar and is chosen as one of the participants for the Phase II clinical trial for Obexity.

The fact that he has to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) should have been a huge red flag but, he apparently doesn't care and goes for it anyway. It requires an inpatient procedure and then injections administered at home. Once the drug starts to take effect, the pounds fall off at incredible speeds. His Instagram explodes with new followers, new likes, new comments and he's buoyed by the constant support from nameless, faceless strangers on the internet. In reality, his friends and family seem to have a hard time congratulating him on apparently turning his life around. 

Of course, he's overjoyed at the way things are going. He has a boyfriend, he gets a promotion and people are finally starting to notice him not just for how big he is but for him, who he really is. Of course, it all take a darker turn when the side effects start. He only ever glanced at the documentation given to him about the Phase I clinical trial and noted that short term memory loss and mood swings could be a possiblity and at first, he's willing to shrug these few instances off as nothing serious. Only, of course, it does get serious and things quickly derail. 

Though this book had a lot of good points about body shaming, body positivity and simply struggling to love who you are, however you look, there were times where Emmet and the other characters were just petulant, immature and obnoxious. Also, there was a point in the book where one character said that, this wasn't just about losing weight, it was about getting even. I'm pretty sure I rolled my eyes so far back into my head at that line that I could see my brain. 

It had its good points but it also had its ridiculous points and in the end, I just finished it for the Goodreads badge. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...