Skip to main content

The Elsewhere Express by Samantha Sotto Yambao

​“Raya and Q are two souls who have lost their purpose in life and are simply getting by, adrift. Lucky for them, The Elsewhere Express sweeps them up and brings them into a magical, immense, imaginative world that's built from all the thoughts, dreams, desires of every person ever. They've been brought on board to find thier purpose. Q is ready and willing to accept all that the Elsewhere Express has to offer but Raya isn't convinced. It had potential but quickly dissolved into aggravation and confusion thanks to Raya's constant questioning and the books' aimless meandering from one train car to the next.”

⭐⭐

Pros: It was a very unique idea/I liked the character of Q, he was a good balance for Raya. 

Cons: Raya's constant questioning of whether the Elsewhere Express was good or bad and how she always managed to do the exact wrong thing, all the time, made this book extremely tedious/Though the places they visited were beautiful, there were far too many and it just ended up being background noise in the end. 

Full Review:

Raya was essentially born to be a safeguard for her brother's health. He was sickly as a child and if he needed a bone marrow transplant, what better person than his sister. Unfortunately, he's killed in a car accident and Raya has drifted through life ever since. She's heading home on the subway to spend her nights the way she usually does, studying but not caring about much else. 

Q is slowly going blind. He's a painter and is heading towards his last exhibit. He's full of rage and hopelessness at the fact that he'll soon be living in complete darkness. There's a moment on the train platform where he seriously considers suicide but he manages to push past it and boards the train. 

The same night, Raya and Q are both swept away onto the Elsewhere Express. 

It's a train that's created by every person's dreams, hopes, truths, lies, thoughts, yearnings, imaginings and more. It's full of music, art, color, texture, every single thing you can think, do or say is shown somewhere at some point on this eternal train that travels in an infinite loop. When it's discovered that a stowaway is on the loose, Lily, the Conductor and Rasmus, the former Conductor ask Q and Raya to help them stop the destruction that the stowaway could create. 

Sadly, the plot quickly disintegrated from there.  

I found Raya to be extremely annoying. Every one of Q's questions was met with a question of her own and it felt like she never gave a straight answer. She always hedged or avoided or dodged around the point. And every single thing she did when trying to trap the stowaway just ended up making things worse. She was selfish, petulant and just annoying. 

By about page 250, I couldn't stand Raya anymore and I just wanted the book to end which it could have easily done so 200 pages earlier than it did. I finished it because I wanted to see how it ended but what started out as whimsical and interesting ended up being overdone, confusing and tiresome. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...