Skip to main content

Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes

"Charlie Gordon agrees to be the first human test subject to undergo an experimental procedure that could raise his IQ astonishingly. It's a success and Charlie goes from someone with a severe intellectual disability to a genius in only a few short months. Though his knowledge grows by the day, motionally, he has a lot of catching up to do. This was originally a high school assigned read and thus I was hesitant but I'm glad I gave it another chance."   

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Pros: Charlie is truly the tragic hero/Charlie and Algernon ❤️🥲. 

Cons: Things have changed so use of the word retardate and such was surprising at first but, it was a different time/Alice Kinnian and her melodrama got a bit old. 

Full Review: 

Told through progress reports over the course of several months, we see Charlie Gordon's journey. He's agreed to be the first human test subject of an experiment that could raise his IQ at an astonishing rate. They've already had success with Algernon, a lab rat. Since all Charlie has ever wanted was to be smart, he agrees and undergoes the procedure. He was introduced to the heads of the experiment by Ms. Kinnian, his teacher at the school he goes to for adults like him. 

He's a gentle, kind soul he truly just wants to have friends and be liked. And so, he figures, if the operation can make him smart, perhaps it can make people like him too. So he agrees. 

Though he doesn't see much progress in the beginning, it's soon apparent that he's growing in leaps and bounds. He's maturing mentally but not emotionally and so he's torn with how he feels about everything. He's of course, in love with Alice Kinnian, his teacher, Alice Kinnian and he also feels increasingly trapped by the experiment, like Algernon, a lab rat in a maze. 

It all comes to a head at a conference in Chicago. Charlie and Alergnon are to be the stars but Charlie no longer wants to take center stage. So he decides to make a break for it. He grabs Alergnon and goes off on his own, to see what life has to offer two geniuses on the run. 

Charlie's journey is heartbreaking. 

This was one of those deeply powerful books that was assigned reading in high school and I remembered the end but that was all. I'm glad I decided to re-read it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...