Skip to main content

A Dowry of Blood by S. T. Gibson

​

“I initially believed that this would be an off-shoot of Stoker's Dracula and an exploration into the three mysterious "women" that Harker finds when he's roaming Dracula's castle but unfortunately, that was not the case. It had its interesting moments and some potential but in the end it devolved into smut.”

⭐⭐

Pros: It started out with potential, since I thought it would tie into Stoker's Dracula and be an interesting offshoot but it wasn't.

Cons: Since the back of the book says that Constanta was Dracula's first bride, I was led to believe that the Vampire in the book, since he's never given a first name, was, in fact, Dracula, but, I was wrong/The timing of everything was just hilariously wrong, let's plot out this whole, dangerous, betrayal, all while the villagers are storming the castle. I guess when you're immortal, your time management skills falter.  

Full Review: 

Amidst the burning wreckage of her village, Constanta lies on the side of the road, dying, discarded like a piece of meat. She's waiting for death, when it finds her, in the form of a terrible and beautiful man. He promises her eternal life and vows to treat her as his bride. And so, Constanta, takes him up on his offer and is turned into a Vampire. She lives with him for Centuries, all the while being hidden away from the public eye. Though, when they go to meet another royal, Magdalena and he decides to take her as his second Bride, Constanta can't help but feel a bit jealous. Though she quickly falls in love with Magdalena as well, for her quick-wit, indomitable intelligence and gentle but mischievous ways. 

Of course, Constanta does begin to wonder how long Magdalena and her Husband were corresponding, since when they first met, they seemed to know each other intimately. And so, she breaks the #1 rule and enters his study, determined to find correspondence. Only, she uncovers a lot more than she bargained for. She finds out that there have been others. Other Brides, other Husbands, all of them bound to him and now, they're nowhere to be seen. 

Their eternal life goes on and he takes on another lover, Alexi. They all love one another, in their own ways and they are beginning to understand how controlling and abusive their Sire is. Since Constanta is armed with the knowledge that he's had other Brides/Husbands before them, she knows that they have to get away, their very "lives" depend on it. 

Though this book had promise, since I thought it was going to be an intriguing off-shoot of Dracula, I was disappointed. Once the book hit its stride, it had some interesting plot points and betrayals but in all honesty, the majority of this book was plain and simple smut. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...