Skip to main content

The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom.

"The one constant in Eddie's life is Ruby Pier. The boardwalk attraction he's worked at since he was a teenager. It's been a staple of his life and sadly, it will also be the place of his death. When he wakes up in Heaven, he meets five people, each who teach him a lesson and help prepare him for the way forward. This book had me hook, line and sinker and didn't disappoint. It was a powerful, emotional and absolutely beautiful read." 

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 

Pros: Hooked me right from the start/Every step of Heaven was perfectly heartbreaking/This was an incredibly moving and powerful book. 

Cons: The only one I can think of is, I would have liked to have known more about Eddie's life before but we're offered enough in the glimpses shown through the novel. 

Full Review: 

Eddie is old and tired. He gets up, he goes to work, he comes home, wash, rinse, repeat. His life has had its ups and downs but all we see, at first, is a sad, tired, old man. Every day he goes to work at the Ruby Pier Amusement Park, a boardwalk attraction. Eddie is head of maintenance, performing routine checks on all the rides and ensuring the safety of the passengers.

Ruby Pier has seen every hardship in his life, it's become a staple of his existence. Sadly, it's also the place where his physical existence will end. 

When a ride malfunctions, he plays damage control. They manage to get everyone off of the damaged cart and everything seems fine. That is until a slowly frayed cable snaps and sends the car plummeting to the Earth. And there's a little girl that's about to be crushed. Eddie jumps to save her and the last thing he'll remember is the feel of her hands in his. 

He wakes up in Heaven. 

Only, this Heaven is Ruby Pier. He's exactly where he was when he died. 

Confused and frightened, he slowly makes his way through the familiar boardwalk until he comes upon the side show. And he meets the first person he'll meet in Heaven. 

This book hooked me from the first page. I also had to put it down for a few days because I knew it was going to be a hard hitter and I wanted to emotionally prepare. I was smart to do so. Albom hits you in the feels at all the right moments. This book moved me to tears numerous times. It was an amazingly beautiful, relatable and powerful story of what might exist after this life and how even in death, there are lessons to be learned. 

This was an absolutely amazing read, I would recommend it to anyone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

"Obviously targeted to writers but honestly, anyone could benefit from Bradbury's practical yet poetic advice, this was a collection of esasys by Bradbury about his writing process and reflections on some of his greatest works."   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros: Bradbury, duh, though I'm biased, to me, the man's prose is pure poetry, every word beautiful/Since writing is not my career, it was an interesting way to view Bradbury's life. Writing was his job and he was the only income. If he did not produce material, he would not get paid. It help put things into perspective.  Cons: The man can go on for a bit 😂/Bradbury's insane work ethic and endless endurance to just produce story after story seems insane and overwhelming but then again, this was his livelihood, so I'm sure it was insane and overwhelming. If he didn't write and get paid, they'd starve, so, it was a life or death situation. Full Review:  This was essentially a collection of essays written by Bra...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

“Rick Deckard is a Bounty Hunter who's on the trail of six "Andys" (Androids) who have come to Earth illegally. His job is to track them down and "retire" them. Something he found easy to do until he met her, Rachael Rosen. The Android that does the impossible, passes the "Voight-Kampff" test. The story quickly devolves into a slow, drawn out and frankly boring mystery that was putting me to sleep by the end."    ⭐⭐ Pros: I was more interested in comparing it to the film, "Bladerunner."/At first I kind of liked the drab, dreary atmostphere but it soon became soporific.  Cons: I had no real idea what was going on with Mercerism/The end there had me blinking in bewilderment, like with Herbert's 29th Dune Book/There was a lot of idle chit-chat while they were in murderous/intense situations, it just seemed odd.  Full Review:  Rick Deckard, a Bounty Hunter, contracted with the San Francisco Police Department hunts down and retires rogue ...

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

​“The tale of Andy Dufresne and how he served his time at Shawshank prison, as told through the eyes of his friend and fellow inmate, Red. Dark and disturbing but also compulsively readbale. I finished it in 2 days. Also enjoyable is Frank Darabont's 1994 film adaptation, "The Shawshank Redemption." ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Pros : Red has a soothing, drawl, making the reading easy and flowing/Since I saw the film first, I couldn't help but compare the book though I was pleased to find that the two were very similar.  Cons : Things got a bit rambling a bit at the beginning/Since I saw the film first I couldn't help but compare the book but this ended up not being a con.  Full Review: The state of Maine has a prison. Shawshank Redemption. And Red is the guy that can get you things. He also happens to be the only guilty man in Shawshank but that's netiher here nor there. He meets Andy Dufresne for business purposes at first and he finds him to be a calm, cool man and Red likes him i...